From Monday 24th July the A6 Stockport Wellington Bridge will be closed for a period of up to 12 weeks.
Stockport Council have issued information regarding the A6 road closure including details on the works and planned diversions.
The section of the A6 between Exchange Street (Garrick Theatre) and Heaton Lane, Stockport will be closed for essential bridge repair works which are required to ensure public safety along this route. Stockport Council ensure they’re doing all they can to keep the disruption to a minimum for everyone and have provided a map showing the diversion routes, which is published below.
- Planning the repairs for the quieter summer months and wherever possible extending working hours so that they can keep the closure period as short as possible
- Making sure a number of alternative routes into and through Stockport town centre are open and signed for use (please see above diversion map)
- Opening up St Mary’s Way so that it can have two lanes of traffic flowing in both directions – more than ever before. To allow this the improvement works taking place will temporarily stop from the 24th July until the end of the bridge works
- Ensuring that pedestrian and cyclist can still get along the A6 by completing the works under one of the footpaths now, so that this can be reopened
- Working with Stagecoach and bus operators to increase the frequency of bus services
- Working with businesses affected by the closure to support them through this time
Open for Business
To highlight that Stockport is still open for business free car parking is going to be available for all visitors to Stockport in Heaton Lane, Merseyway and Newbridge Lane car parks after 3.00pm throughout the period of the road closure.
Working with you
Stockport Council want to work with businesses, residents and visitors to keep the disruption they face to a minimum.
A drop in event is planned where interested / affected parties can go along and find out more about the works taking place as well as getting the opportunity to speak to members of the project team. The event will take place on Tuesday 8th August between 3pm and 7pm at the Hatworks on Wellington Road South.
A number of online tools to help you and colleagues plan your journeys during the A6 Stockport road closure works as well as more information about what is taking place can found online at www.stockport.gov.uk/a6
If you have any questions about the works please contact Stockport Council by calling 0161 474 2299 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org