On December 21st the Government announced that there would be a new round of additional restrictions grant funding released specifically for those retail and hospitality businesses who were hit hard by the spiraling Omicron outbreak.
These additional restrictions grants are to be applied for via the local authorities, and this article will outline the criteria required, process to follow and links to where to apply if your business is in any of the following local authorities: Stockport, Cheshire East, Tameside, Sheffield or Warrington.
Who can apply?
Businesses in the Hospitality, Leisure and Accommodation Sectors
Examples of such businesses include, but are not limited to:
- Restaurants, Cafes, Pubs and Wine Bars
- Hotels and Wedding Venues
- Cinemas, Museums and Art Galleries
- Night Clubs and Discos
- Amusements, theme parks and soft play centers
- Holiday homes – cottages, apartments, bungalows
- Guest houses and B&Bs
- Campsites and caravan parks
How will the amount of grant be calculated?
Grants will be awarded per PREMISE rather than per business, and will be calculated based on the Rateable Value of each premise as follows.
Each local authority the amounts vary, so please see your area below, and note that the bands are as follows unless otherwise indicated:
- £0 – £15,000 – award £2,667
- £15,001 to £50,999 – award £4,000
- £51,000 and above – award £6,000
Will I have to pay tax on grant income?
Grant income received by any business is taxable, and will need to be included on any self assessment or corporation tax return.
If you need any help with your accounts or tax returns, please don’t hesitate to contact any of the IN Accountancy Team, who will be happy to help.
What if my business has been affected but I don’t pay rates?
We understand that further money will be made available for such businesses, but details are yet to be confirmed – we will keep you updated as and when further information comes to light. Some LAs have already decided on the amount to be offered to home based businesses – again see below for details.
When and where can I apply from?
Each local authority will have slightly different timelines as to when the online application forms will be made available, and further eligibility rules and timescales for payment will be updated as and when available.
So far, we have been able to fund out the following:
Stockport Local Authority
- The application form is open and available at: https://www.stockport.gov.uk/start/apply-for-the-discretionary-grant-scheme, however applications are subject to review against the detail government guidance (see link at bottom of article)
- Can be reached by email as follows: SKLADGRANTS@stockport.gov.uk
- Further details can be found online at: https://www.stockport.gov.uk/additional-restrictions-grant
- Home based businesses with no commercial premises will receive £1,500
- Businesses with separate commercial premises and rateable values will receive the below amounts:
- £0 – £15,000 – award £3,000
- £15,001 to £50,999 – award £5,000
- £51,000 and above – award £7,500
Cheshire East Local Authority
- The application form is open and available at: https://www.grantapproval.co.uk/, however applications are subject to review against the detail government guidance once this has been received
- The closing date for applications is 28 February 2022, with final payments having been made by 31 March 2022
- Cannot be reached by a specific email address, but all contact details and methods can be found at the bottom of the below page
- Further details can be found online at: https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/business/business_rates/business-rates-relief/coronavirus-covid-19-help-for-business-rates-customers.aspx
- Please check the above web page carefully for list of exclusions
- Home based businesses are not mentioned
Tameside Local Authority
- Expects to have their application form to be available ‘soon’
- Cannot be reached by email, but have Live Webchat available on their website below
- Further details can be found online at: https://www.tameside.gov.uk/coronavirus/supportforbusiness
- Home based businesses with no commercial premises – no information available
Warrington Local Authority
- Expects to have their application form to be available by January 24 2022
- Can be reached by email as follows: COVIDHospitalityandLeisureGrant@warrington.gov.uk
- Further details can be found online at: https://www.warrington.gov.uk/business-support-coronavirus-update
- Home based businesses with no commercial premises – to be decided
Sheffield and South Yorkshire Local Authorities
- The South Yorkshire Business Growth Hub has an excellent support page, which will point businesses to their relevant local authority, and it can be reached here: https://www.scrgrowthhub.co.uk/covid-19-support-for-businesses/south-yorkshire-additional-restrictions-grants/
- Can be reached by email as follows: email@example.com
Full guidance has now been published and can be read in full here: